Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Getting out

Kirk and I love to get out of the house--especially if we'll be spending time outside. We haven't been able to do as much as we like for the last year (pregnancy, dental school, moving, baby etc.) but we have gotten out a few times in the last little while.
At the end of October we drove over to Arkansas and took Cade on his first fishing trip. It is a 3 hour drive. We planned to leave as soon as Cade woke up and was fed. Usually he was getting up around 6:30, but that day he decided he couldn't wait and woke up at 5:45. Kirk was pleased, I was tired. :) I fed him and then he slept the whole way there. Kirk held him in the Bjorn and fished for a while.


Cade watched and took a little snooze. I was able to catch 2 trout right off which was really fun.

Diaper change with Kirk on an island in the river.

We ate lunch and drove to another part of the river. I sat at the car with Cade while he slept in in his car seat and let Kirk fish for a while. He called me though and said we had to switch because he had just caught 8 fish in about 45 minutes. So we did and he sat with Cade and I went and caught 5 before it was time to feed the little guy again. We headed home as it was getting dark and Cade slept the whole way back. All in all, it was a fun trip to a beautiful place. Cade did great--he loves being outside. We'll definitely be doing it again.

Last weekend we drove down to a lake about 30 minutes south of here. I had read that there were some hiking trails and we decided to explore. It turns out that there are 2- 3- and 5-mile that all start at the parking lot. We opted for the 2 miler and had a nice walk through the trees. We have a reputation for going on "Cheryl Hikes" which usually go straight up a mountain or something. This was flat with a nice wide trail. It was a fun hike, but really more of a walk and would be even better on a mountain bike. Cade spent the first part just looking around everywhere and then slept for a while.

Kirk found a giant leaf. The leaves here are pretty much done changing, but it is fun to have an autumn again. The first time I saw a tree with red leaves this year I had to remind myself that leaves do change in the fall. We didn't get much of that in California.

And justfor good luck, this is one of my favorite pictures of Cade. Love it when he smiles for the camera!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Fun outings! And I'm glad you get to experience a real fall again. :) That last picture of Cade on his belly is just too cute.

Julie said...

Awesome pictures and adventures. Thanks for sharing, we love to read and see what you are doing.
You guys are the best.
Dad