Pages

Friday, August 1, 2008

The End of Summer

Today is my last day of summer vacation. I am sad to go back to school, but I have had an awesome summer. I haven't posted much, but that's because I've been having too much fun. Here are a few pictures from the last two months to give you an idea of what I've been up to, in reverse order.




July 22-29 I went to visit my sister Lindsey. She is living with her in-laws in Virginia, right next to Washington D.C. for the summer. We had a great time together. I love hanging out, touring, and really not having much responsibility. Lindsey and I haven't spent a lot of time just the two of us since I got married, so it was really nice to just relax and laugh together.



Here we are at the Washington Monument. We got there at 7:30 to wait in line for free tickets to the top. It was worth it though. It's an amazing view.


The Lincoln Monument. We got so lucky to be the only ones in this picture.



There was a special muppets exhibit at the Smithsonian. I am a huge muppets fan, so of course we went. We didn't know you weren't supposed to take pictures though, and we got in trouble. You can see the security guard in the background on his way to bust us. Lindsey and Jason at the Washington D.C. temple. It is so pretty!




July 17-19 Kirk and I went backpacking in the eastern Sierras. We went out to catch a fish called the volcano golden trout and were totally successful. They are really bright red and orange colors. I caught about 25 fish in the 3 days, including 2 big ones. Kirk caught over 50 fish. It was a great trip for us; it felt like a week when it was only 2 nights. I love being outside and away from the city--especially with Kirk.











July 12-16 My brother Alan and his friend Derek were here visiting. They are quite a pair and entertained Kirk and I by making fun of each other. We had fun at the beach and at Ripley's Believe It or Not museum.






July 8-11 I attened a science camp here in Long Beach. I learned several new labs and activities that I can do with my classes next year. There is so much you can do with science. I love it! (I know I'm a nerd, but it is fun.)




July 1-7 my parents and sister Melissa came to visit us. We went to the Huntington Library gardens, Bodyworlds exhibit, the beach (of course) and spent time with Greg and Elaine and Alan Dennis (my dad's old friend). If you've never been to the Huntington and enjoy plants, it is amazing. It is 120 acres and has trees, flowers, bushes etc. from all over the world.




June 20-29 we spent in Utah with our families. We went 4-wheeling, hiking, shopping, to a rodeo, picnicing, biking, and lots of stuff. We both love Utah. It is so pretty and there are so many outdoor activities there. I totally miss biking up the provo bike trail, hiking on Timpanogos, and Macey's farm bread. You don't know what you're missing until it's gone. It was great to spend a week there with our families and hang out.

This is Kirk and I on Cascade Saddle, looking down Rock canyon to Provo.

My brother-in-law Connor and I at a picnic. I love his face.




Melissa and I playing hand and foot.On the hike to Cascade saddle. My parents and Alan and Melissa came with us. It was really beautiful.






June 16-18 Kirk, Tom (Kirk's dad), and I went backpacking. You can read about that on another post.


So, I've been way busy this summer. I've loved it too! I don't think that I could have done much more in the 8 weeks I had off! So, back to school on Monday. I hope I remember how to teach.

4 comments:

Steffy said...

Cheryl! It sounds like you had a super fun summer! I love all the pictures and adventures you had! Yeah!!!

Darlene said...

Sounds like you had a great time.

KayLynn said...

That is an eventful summer! You are so adventurious. That trout is cool, those are amazing colors!!!

Jill said...

That was quite the update. Thanks for posting all the pictures. I'm glad you had such a fun summer! Good luck at school!