Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter and Strawberry Jam

Happy Easter! I love to dye eggs so I talked Kirk into doing them with me. We also invited some friends over to dye with us. Kirk made a pepsi egg and I made one that looked like him (and some others). Here are our best ones. On Easter we went to visit Greg and Elaine. We were able to go to church with them and they blessed their new baby Lilian. It was fun. We went back to their house and dyed more eggs with Samantha and Isaac and ate a ton of yummy Easter ham.

I've been noticing lately that our supply of homemade strawberry jam is dwindling. I've been debating whether I should make more or just buy it--it's not that much cheaper to make it. But, I've always had homemade jam and the horror of going an entire year on store-bought jam overcame my laziness. I made jam with my mom two years ago, but I've never attempted it on my own. So, in an effort to be a homemaker, I started out. One of the hardest things was finding pectin in West LA. I don't think that too many people around here make jam. I got a wierd look when I asked someone at Albertsons where the pectin was. Anyway, I finally found it and made my jam. If you've never made it, here's the process.
1. Buy strawberries. This is the best time of year for them.
2. Wash the strawberries and blend them up. The hardest part here is making sure that they get in the measuring cup and not just in your mouth!
3. Add sugar and stir forever (about 10 minutes) until it boils. Then you just add pectin and let it boil a little longer and. . . . 4. TA DA!! you have beautiful jars of jam! The whole process only took about 45 minutes for 4 jars. I just heard the magic "popping" sound. This means that the jars are sealing. I hope that they all set up or we'll be eating strawberry syrup for the next year!
It really wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. I hope they turn out. Now I get to eat all of the leftover strawberries. Kirk has a theory that red heads like strawberries more than other people. I know that I love them!

P.S. Kirk and I watched "Bedtime Stories" last weekend and it was a cute movie. We were laughing the whole time. I would recommend it if you're in the mood for a comedy!

11 comments:

Austin said...

We loved bedtime stories also! Question: why do you put the jars upside down?

Patti said...

I may have had a slight tint of red in my hair as a child, but I doubt if anyone likes strawberries any more than I do. I have to have them straight from the plant though. I don't like the smell of strawberries that have sat very long. We also liked Bedtime stories.

KB said...

Cool! THanks for the tips and the movie recommend...I was wondering if it was good. I love most of Adam Sandlers other movies but every once in a while he has a dud.

Breanne Talbot said...

I am so impressed with your jam-making skills! It looks so good! Why do you put the jars upside down?

Mandi and Adam said...

I love homemade strawberry jam. We're almost out too. We make freezer jam though. It's nice because you don't have to worry about the jars sealing. I guess we'll have to get Bedtime Stories from Redbox one of these days when we have a free rental.

Elise said...

I am impressed with the jam making. I made jam once and it turned out very sweet, a little too sweet. One day I will try again. Until then, we will settle for the store bought stuff.

Steffy said...

Hey thanks for posting how you make the jam. My mom always made her jam & Jelly in our pressure cooker.. so I thought you need fancy equipment to make it! I think I am going to definately try to make it your way!

P.S. I LOVEEEEEE strawberries.

Norris Fam said...

I tried to watch Bedtime Stories, but I couldn't keep my eyes open. I'm going to have to spend $1 and rent it again!

Kara M. said...

We liked Bedtime Stories too! Did the Jam end up turning out great?? Glad you are able to see our blog now! :)

Jaime said...

Bentley and Gaige love strawberries too!

Hope said...

Hey, that was us! We were the "friends" you invited over to dye eggs! We're so much cooler now that we were in your blog....