Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Kern River backpacking


Last week, in need of a break, Kirk and I headed up to the Golden Trout wilderness and the Kern River. Our good friends, Jason and Stacey Thompson, came with us. We were so glad because it was way fun! We drove about 4 hours from home and then hiked in 4 miles to our campsite. We camped right by the river in a site that we remembered from our trip 2 years ago. It was pretty far below the trail and we didn't see any other people for most of the time we were there. It was a very shady place, which was great in the heat! We usually go backpacking in bear country and so we end up hanging our pack with our food and cooking stuff in it. Kirk was especially proud of this bear-bagging. I think he looks forward to the challenge of hanging the pack almost as much as the fishing (almost).
We spent a couple of days fishing the mighty Kern River. Jason even caught his first fish on the fly rod! It was fun and wading in the river kept us nice and cool.





We found a nice, deep hole in the river and jumped off to cool off. I was the photographer here. I don't really like jumping into rivers, especially really cold ones, plus I didn't have any clothes to change into.




We had a great time! I'm glad that we had the chance to go. Everytime we go backpacking, I remember how much fun it is to get out and enjoy the world around us. We live in such a busy city and keep busy ourselves, it is really nice to get out and relax and slow down a bit.

6 comments:

KayLynn said...

And here I was proud of our camping trip, with flush toilets and a paved parking space :) You are so adventurous! That bag is deffinitly not getting atacked by a bear, was it rigged on a pulley system? Simply amazing!

Darlene said...

That looks like a beautiful place. I love to read about your adventures. You are one mighty fisherman now.

Julie said...

I can finally post a comment. Great pictures. Looks like a great trip. Keep up the good work.
Dad

Norris Fam said...

You guys are true campers (I second KayLynn's comment above). Next time bring your suit so we can see you jumpin' in!

Jill said...

What a fun trip! It looks so pretty up there. I'm glad you had fun!

The Thompson Family said...

Thanks again for inviting us. We had a great time.