Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Matchmaker, Matchmaker

Today was that long-awaited day. Kirk and I have been nervous for weeks, waiting for today. Its the day we've been talking about since dental school began. Today is Match day. (for those of you unfamiliar with the match programs, residency applicants rank their programs, programs rank applicants and a computer program "matches" you up.)

The email was supposed to come around 5:00 a.m. We got up at our usual 5:45 after waking up several times and many dreams. Nervously, we logged onto the email account. . . .and saw that one was from "National Match service."
"Are you ready?" Kirk asks, "Should I click on it?"
"We can't change it now, and I can't wait. Go!" I replied.
The email opens and in big capital letters we read:
UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE AT MEMPHIS
Memphis? Yes that's right. Kirk and I are heading out to the south: Fried catfish, accents and the Mississippi river. We are going to Memphis.

Kirk's program begins July 1 and we have school here until the middle of June leaving a couple of precious weeks to pack and move our stuff 1800 miles to Graceland. Wow.

I am so relieved that this is over. Kirk has worked really hard these past 3.5 years. When he went to interview at Memphis, he couldn't stop saying good things about it and how much he loved the program.. .the residents were chill, many were married, 2 are LDS, the program is partly hospital based, partly clinical, on-call time is not bad and only first year, there's a lot of outdoor stuff and people are active. . it sounds good. We're excited.

I know nothing about Memphis. I've never been there; this will be an adventure. I will probably head out there in April during spring break to go house hunting (if you want to come, let me know!:))

Anyway, just wanted to keep you posted on our latest and greatest news! Thanks for updating your blogs, I check them all of the time, even though I've been terrible at updating this one.

Love, Cheryl

17 comments:

Mandi and Adam said...

It's so nice when you finally figure out where you're going. Trevor and Adam both spent significant portions of their missions in Memphis. You may want to talk to Trevor about hooking you up with some of the members there to help find a place to live. That's crazy that you'll live in Brian's mission. Congrats, by the way and good luck getting ready for the move.

The Smith's Fridge Door said...

Yay!! I am so excited for you guy!! I really think you are going to love living in the South. :) Let me know what you need to prepare for the move!!

Ryan and Emily said...

Yay, yay, yay! That is sooo exciting! We've been waiting to hear the news too. I can't wait to hear about all of your adventures in TN. Congrats you guys. Hope you went out and celebrated!

Stormie said...

Congrats! That's so exciting you found out finally. We have to wait until March 2012 ... but of course you're a year ahead of us. You'll be 'closer' for a year; maybe we'll have to come visit. :) Glad Kirk liked the program! Hope you guys are doing well otherwise - take care!

The Thompson Family said...

Congratulations! I was thinking about you all day yesterday. That is so awesome. Tennesse will definitely be a change of pace. I hope you love it.

Amy said...

Hey!!! Congratulations! Mark and I are moving to Memphis! We have visited there and love it! We are living in a little town called Southaven. It is actually in Mississippi. Just about 15 minutes south of Memphis. There are several LDS families in the area. Look into it. If you have any questions you think I can answer email me @ amfcurtis@gmail.com. Wow, this is so cool! We are moving in August. It would be awesome to be in the same ward!

Kara M. said...

Wahoo!!! I'm excited for you guys and I know how much of a relief it is to have the results so you can start planning for your next great adventure in life! We can't wait to come visit in Memphis because you know I love the SOUTH!!! ;)Hooray again! Let me know if we can do anything to help!

Steven and Keeley said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am truly so happy for you guys! It is such a relief when the match process is over. Especially when you find out you got into the program you had hoped for. Good luck with all of your planning! Let us know if we can help in any way.

Kelli said...

Congrats! That is so exciting! What a fun adventure that will be.

Jensen Family said...

How exciting! Congratulations!

McRachie said...

I'm sure it is going to be fantastic! Every place has great things about it, you will have so much fun finding all the wonderful things about Tennessee.

Katie said...

That will be a fun adventure! Congratulations!

Jenn said...

Congratulations! Mark was just wondering the other day where you guys had gotten into, so nice to be on your way finally!

KB said...

Congrats! Hope u love it there. We'll certainly miss having u around thou.

Hope said...

Woohooooooo!!! I didn't have a chance to catch you at church to find out today. I'm sure you guys will love it. We will miss you (let's not start goodbyes yet). Enjoy your ability to plan, pack, etc now that you know the destination :)

Jill said...

Congrats again! We are so excited for you!

Meg said...

Congrats and good luck! That is a big move, and a big adventure, but at least you will get to do it together! PLEASE pick up a southern accent while you are there, that would totally make my day! :)