Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Utah Trip

A couple of weeks ago I found a deal on plane tickets (I get emails about cheap tickets).  So I called up my mom to see if we could make good use of it.  I really didn't think she would go for it, but she called me up the next day and asked if I wanted to bring Cade and come visit the next week.  I thought it over for a minute and of course, I want to visit! 

Cade and I left home at 10:00 Wednesday morning.  We had to drive to Little Rock (2 1/2 hours away) because that was the airport with the deal.  From Little Rock we flew to Denver.  Cade did great on the plane and slept about half the time.  In Denver we had a scheduled 2 hr 45 min layover, yuck.  Unfortunately, our flight was delayed and it ended up being almost a 5 hour layover.  We were both so tired by the time our plane took off at 9:00 p.m. (which is 10 at home).  I got Cade to sleep in my arms about an hour before we boarded.  He was still zonked out when it was time to board and I didn't want to wake him.  I asked a girl standing nearby if she would help me get on the plane.  She took my stroller and carryon bag and I took Cade and the diaper bag.  I was so grateful!  Cade stayed asleep the whole way to Salt Lake airport where my parents picked me up at 10:40 instead of 7:40 like it was supposed to be. 

Thursday:  My mom took the day off work to hang out with us.  Cade was so tired he ended up napping for 6 hours throughout the day (normal is 4.5-5 hours).  My mom and I made a swaddle blanket for Cade because we needed another one. 

We also made dinner and hung out.  We went to my dad's school during lunch so he could see Cade and Melissa decided to skip her last class and came home with us. 


She is on the color guard team and so we practiced some moves in the backyard.

 Later that night, the girls and Cade went to Orange Leaf, a new frozen yogurt place.  I thought it was super yummy and even more fun because Kristi (Alan's wife) came with us.  I don't know Kristi well, but it was fun to hang out with her while we were there.

Friday:  My mom was back to work in the morning so Lisa and Connor came over to visit in the morning.  Lisa helped me give Cade a bath and enjoyed being a grandma!  Later that day she came back with Tom so he could see Cade as well.  It was fun for me to see all of the grandparents interacting with Cade. 

He was so spoiled with attention all week.  I think he will probably get bored with just be around. :)  Friday night we went to the temple with Alan and Kristi.  It was crowded so we ended up doing sealings.  Alan and Kristi came back to the house after for ice cream.

Saturday:  I went to walmart with my dad and Melissa to buy socks for Cade.  Alan and Kristi came over again and we all went to JCW's for lunch to celebrate Alan's birthday.  I'd never been there before, but it was so good!  I got a bacon guacamole burger and really, you can't go wrong with that. 

Alan gave Cade his first taste of ketchup. He made a face, then started sucking on the french fry.  He must be my son if he loves french fries!

We went hiking that afternoon in American Fork Canyon.  Kristi volunteered to stay with napping Cade because she had worked out earlier and was really sore. 

After hiking we went to Mindy and Greg's (family friends) for dinner.  Later, when Cade was in bed, I convinced my dad and Melissa to go to Kohl's with me.  My mom was really tired and I figured if she was around to babysit, I should take advantage of it and leave! 
Sunday:  My parents have late church, so we hung out at home in the morning. Melissa and I painted toenails and made a Valentine's banner. 

After church we had a quick dinner and went to visit Grandpa Smith and Alan and Kristi (who are living in Grandpa's basement.)  Alan was having a little too much fun with Cade and got spit up on--all over his face and clothes!

Alan and Kristi made us donuts.  YUMM!  It was good to see Grandpa  and visit with him.  I also had fun seeing where Alan lives. 




Monday:  MLK day so everyone was off school.  Dad, Melissa and I went shopping again, all over. We came home and Lisa and Connor came over again to see Cade.  They stayed and talked for a while after Cade was in bed too.  It is really fun to be able to see both my family and Kirk's family on the same trip.  Glenn and Colleen and Emily came over for dinner.  My dad made BBQ pork sandwiches that were soooo good.  He had the pork marinate for 24 hours and took 12 to cook it.  Yummm!

Tuesday:  Time to go home.  I had to leave at 5:15 to catch at 6:30 am flight.  Cade decided to wake up crying at 4:30.  I sent my mom down to rock him so I could eat breakfast and finish packing.  Aren't grandma's great?  We got the the airport and everything went really smoothly.  We made it home around 4:30 p.m.  Cade was so excited to be out the car and airplanes.  He was really almost hyper last night, wanting to jump and play.  He fell asleep at 7 p.m. without a fuss and slept until 7 am.  What a good baby!

Cade was awesome on the trip.  He was  great sleeper and happy when he was up.  It was really fun to show him off to everyone.  I pretty much only held him while he was eating or going to bed.  I would just put him on the floor after he ate and someone inevitably came to talk and play with him.  He LOVED all the attention. 



The first thing people said when they saw him was "what a big baby!"  The second thing. . . "He has such cute hair!"

We had a fun trip.  Today has been filled with laundry and cleaning up--back to life I guess.  Tom, Lisa and Connor are coming next month.  They took advantage of the same deal I did!  My parents are planning  a trip out here in June.  So, we said good bye, but we will be seeing them all again soon! 

4 comments:

Kara M. said...

Sounds like you had an action packed time! I hope you found something good on all of your shopping excursions! Glad you were able to take a fun little trip even if your flight did get delayed!

Meg said...

Um, how had you NEVER been to JCWs before?! That was like a staple in my high school experience! :) Sounds like you had a really fun trip!

Stormie said...

Isn't being with family the best? It's hard to come home though and just be with Mom and Dad again though. Miyah loves all the attention too. :) A year ago new years eve Miyah and I were supposed to have a 30 minute layover that turned into a 5 hour layover in Denver. It was awful! We didn't get back to Texas until midnight only to find they'd lost my bags too. So I feel your pain-ug! Glad you had a smooth trip going back!

Lindsey said...

That looks like a ton of fun!! Thanks for sharing, it was fun to see lots of pictures, it made me happy, and a little homesick :) That's ok though, my time will come!
Love you