Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Crawfish

Crawfish:  not a fish but a little lobster-like crustacean.  Also, a southern food staple.

Many times I have driven past the old brown trailer with one word pained on the side:  crawfish.  It is parked out in front of the gas station by my house.  Many times I have said I should get some crawfish, just to try them.  Well, Kirk was driving past on his way home today and let me know it was open and we needed to try the crawfish. 

I went over and explained that I had never had them and didn't know how to eat or cook them.  The girl thereasked if I wanted to try one and pulled out a cooked crawfish and showed me how to pull it apart and get the meat out.  "You can suck on the head too, I always do," she explained.  "Well, ok.  I think I'll just stick with the meat," I thought.  I took a bite and they tasted suprisingly good.  I bought 2 pounds of the cooked ones and took them home. 

Before

 Kirk and I spent about 20 minutes eating our crawfish. Each one yields a bite of meat and it is a lot of work to get to, but it was really tasty. We even tried sucking a few heads but didn't get anything out.  (Not that I was sucking really hard.)  Overall, not something I want to do every day, but it was fun. I've never been a big fish eater, but lately I've had bass, catfish and now crawfish and enjoyed all of them.


After--lots of shells and legs
  Hopefully this doesn't gross you out.  It is different eating something like this than just buying a chicken breast at the store.  That's probably one reason I've never really enjoyed seafood. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree, they are good, but not something I will eat every day. We put them in our Gumbo last time we made it.
Thanks as always for the blogs
Love,
Dad

Kara M. said...

I feel the same way; they are tasty, but not worth the effort in my opinion! That was something people used to have a lot in Texas was Crawfish boils....Can't say I miss it. :) Glad you guys gave it a try though!