Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Bridge to Nowhere

Every year for Christmas, my principal buys ticket for the teachers (and a guest) to go see a broadway musical. This year Kirk and I got to see Mary Poppins at the Ahmanson Theater in Los Angeles. It was really good! They had Mary flying and Bert tapdancing on the celing. I thought that it would be just like the movie, but actually, the play had some songs and scenes that the movie didn't and vice versa. We also all went out to dinner in Chinatown before. It was kinda an adventure to find parking and stuff, but it was a really fun evening.
In the 1930s, one of the projects to get the country out of depression was to build roads. One of these roads was in the Angeles' national forest and had a big cement bridge over the river. Well, a storm came along and flooded the river wiping out most of the road, but leaving the bridge. Now the road has become a popular hike to the Bridge to Nowhere.

We hiked to this bridge a couple of weeks ago with our friends in the ward, Katie and Jason Scott. Here is a picture of Kirk and I at one of the many stream crossings along the way: We had a really fun time. It was perfect weather and just the right length of hike. I really enjoy hiking and getting outside. Near the bridge at the top we saw 3 desert big horn sheep pretty close to us on a hill. This one posed for a picture:

When we got to the bridge there were a bunch of people listening to a guy teaching about how to bungee jump, and getting ready to jump off of the bridge. We didn't see anyone actually jump, but I think that sounds pretty scary. Here's a picture of Kirk and I at the bridge.


We've been staying pretty busy the last few weekends. I've worked the last 3 either Saturday morning or Friday night. My mom is coming to visit over President's day weekend and Kirk is taking the Boards on February 16. Then life should slow down a bit and we will be able to spend a little more time together and get out more on the weekends.

7 comments:

Stormie said...

Looks like a fun hike! It would be fun to make cards with you. It's always fun to have someone to bounce ideas off of. And I can't remember if I ever answered your Utah question. We're going up to Utah for the Utah Valley Marathon again which is June 12. We'll be there a few days before and after. But we're not sure our exact schedule yet. Hope we can see you!

Lindsey said...

I'm jealous. We need to get rid of our snow, so that we can go play outside!!

KB said...

I was obsessed with Mary Poppins as a kid! I should totally go see the play...

Rachel said...

Hey, glad you found our blog! Austin and I have been looking for hikes to do around here. We should all go on one sometime!

Katie said...

Yay, now I have your blog too! Thanks for the fun hike, we'll have to go again soon!

Jill said...

What a cool place! Have fun this weekend and good luck on the Boards!

Julie said...

You and Kirk are great. Keep up all the good things you guys are doing.
Love,
Dad