It started with conference weekend. I loved the talks, especially Elder Uchdorf's about simplifying life. I'm really not crazy busy, but I could use a little more focus on the basics I think. We were able to spend Sunday conference with my aunt and uncle (Greg and Elaine) down in Orange county. We're going back down there for Thanksgiving--if anyone wants to join us :).
Last weekend we headed up to Pismo Beach to spend time with Randall and Clara Lewis. Randall and Kirk have been best friends since high school. Last year, Randall and Clara moved to San Jose, about 6 hours from here. We decided to meet up in Pismo beach, about half way between our homes. We left on Friday afternoon and luckily didn't have too much traffic. We had rented a little beach condo for the weekend and it was perfect! It had 2 bedrooms, a full kitchen, a nice living room and a sweet patio with a barbeque grill we used Friday night. Here's Kirk and Randall, enjoying a cold one! (notice the can behind Kirk's neck. It was a bud light that the owners of the condo left for us)

Saturday morning we went hiking up by Morro Bay. It was a gorgeous hike on the cliffs above the beach. There was one place with stairs to take you down to the water. We saw lots of seals and even an otter, playing in the waves. Clara spotted a rattle snake too. I really love the coastline up there. I love to watch the waves crash against the rocks.



It is so beautiful. After hiking, we had a quick lunch at home and the went to the beach in Pismo for the rest of the day. We played in the waves, threw a fisbee and flew Randall's trick kite. It was a perfect beach day. The air was really warm. The water was a little cold, but not too bad. We were able to go out to dinner that night, looked at the stars (we don't have stars here in LA) and stayed up a talked. Sunday morning we got up and had a yummy waffle breakfast then went for a walk to the beach neaby. We left Pismo around noon and miracle of miracles didn't have traffic all the way home so we made it in about 3 hours. It was a great weekend and really nice to have a break from everyday life. I only wish it could have been longer.
Yesterday, Kirk and I decided to go fishing. We also wanted to go hiking and make it a fun day so we went to the East Fork of the San Gabriel river. We hiked in about 5 1/2 miles and then started fishing. Here we are holding our beautiful little trout.


We saw lots of desert big horn sheep on the way. A couple of them were right on the trail and we got to watch them for a while before they wandered off. We ended up seeing 13 in all and it was really cool.

We caught a bunch of fish and headed back down the trail. On the way down we saw a big bull snake and a tarantula to complete our desert animals.

It was a really fun day and so nice to get out. The weather was perfect: 75 degrees and sunny!
Kirk has been applying for a pediatric dentistry residency program right now as well. He applied to 23 schools and currently has 5 interviews all over the place: Memphis, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Rochester (NY). We are really excited/nervous. Hopefully he will get a couple more. The interviews are all between now and Christmas and then we find out the end of January where he gets in. It is exciting, but kind of stressful too.
I still go to work every day. We have homecoming this week which means extra hours helping students practice skits and dance competitions and of course the parade and football game on Saturday. Luckily I get a couple days off next week :).
One more thing. I have a new goal as of this last week. I am going to read the 4 gospels by Christmas. I figured out that I need to read about 5 columns a day to finish. Every year I want to focus more on Christ and the reasons for Christmas,
but get stuck doing everything else. I think that this will be good because I'll be reading about Christ for the next couple of months and that will help me get in the mindset. I'm writing this because I know that if I tell someone about it, I am a lot more likely to follow through.
So if you're still reading, that's what is going on in the Morris household lately. We're looking forward to visits from both of our families next month (minus Alan who's on a mission).

6 comments:
Looks like you had a fun little vacation with your friends. Good luck to Kirk applying to the ped. programs. And reading the 4 gospels is a great idea!
Shoot, wish we could've been in on the party! We would've loved to be there too last weekend! Glad you had fun though. Good luck with the 4 gospels! Sounds like a great goal.
Wow that looks like a beautiful area! I gotta say though, that picture of the spider made my skin crawl. I HATE spiders! I actually took my feet off the floor after I saw that picture. Yuck! :) Good luck to your hubby, sounds like you could be making move somewhere depending on where he needs to go!
Hey Cheryl!
That loos like fun!
p.s.
I saw this and they reminded me of you
http://www.coolstuffexpress.com/store/p/335-Good-Chemistry-Elements-Salt-Pepper-Shakers.html
I see you got a pic of the big horn sheep to prove it! Sounds like you had a fun weekend with your friends up at that condo - especially with the bud light :) Just stumbled upon your blog - love it!
I almost wet myself just looking at that tarantula. A tarantula in the wild?? I would have freaked out.
Post a Comment