Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

new post and baby advice

I posted about graduation below. I am in need of some baby advice too, so if you have any opions, please share!

1. Any preference on diapers? I've heard costco ones are always good. Any brands to avoid?

2. What about bottles and pacifiers? There are so many to choose from--I don't know where to start! Does it just depend on your baby's preference? Which ones should I try first?

Any help you can give would be great--otherwise I get to just guess and check my way through for a few months! I'll probably be doing that anyway though. . . As my friend told me, constant change becomes your new routine.

12 comments:

Steffy said...

So the only diapers I've ever had a problem with are Parents choice. Those diapers have leaked every single time we have ever used them.

We use MAM Binkies, but each of my babies liked a different brand of bottles. Zeke liked Dr. Brown but Ezri hated them. Ezri only likes those bent crazy looking vent aire ones, she is picky about that kind of things though.

I found that just buying things that had 1 in them, testing them out and then going back for more was the way to go.

Good luck! Each baby is so different and wonderful in their own way.

Julie said...

Sorry , It's been way too long for me to be of any help to you here. My only advise would be to just buy one at a time and give it a try until you have success.

Mandi and Adam said...

We really like LUVS diapers. Like I told you when you were at our house, we buy them on amazon through Amazon Mom/Subscribe and Save and get a great deal and get them delivered to our door. I love it! I don't think that LUVS does newborn size diapers, so I go with Huggies for that. I thought I liked Pampers, but then I found that they left gel balls behind, so I think Huggies is the way to go for the tiny diapers.

As far as binkies and bottles, I think it really depends on the kid. Brooke liked a Gerber bottle with a wide mouth the best, but would drink from any bottle. Cameron would never, ever drink from any bottle, no matter what was in it. Andrew would drink from whatever bottle for a short time and then stopped taking them all together.

They always give you a Soothie binky in the hospital. Our kids like those okay, but I think they're ugly, so we always switched to something else. I think ours were Evenflo brand for the older two kids. Andrew used NUK brand until he decided he didn't want to take a binky anymore. But really, I think you just have to play around with those two things and see what they like.

Good luck!

Choosy mom said...

For Diapers, diapers.com has a deal where for the first 3 months you can get diapers for 30% of if you are a new customer. If you do the diapers.com brand that's 9 cents a diaper. They are pretty good quality too and it's free shipping. My all time favorites are pampers diapers, but they tend to be more pricey. They are the best at catching blow-outs and telling when the baby has a wet diaper.
With bottles I use the playtex drop-in brand. I buy the generic drop ins at the store and also use those as my milk storage bags in the freezer. I just tie a rubber band around the top, thaw when I'm ready and pop into the bottle. Really easy. I would try not to introduce the bottle or the pacifier for a few weeks because they will learn how to suck wrong and make you really sore while breastfeeding. But if they become good at breastfeeding, then it's fine to introduce both. I learned that the hard way with baby #2.

Laura Earl said...

Diapers: they are a little more pricey but for the first couple of months I go with the pampers swaddlers...so love them! After that pretty much any diaper that is on sale is great :)
Pacifier/bottles: We went through SOOOO many pacifiers, just to see which one our munchkins would take. The nuk is easy to find and one of ours liked that one. As for bottles the only suggestion I would say is if you are going to get a breast pump sometimes they have bottles that attach so you would want them to be the ones that go together :)

SOOO excited for you guys! Babes are the best.

Norris Fam said...

My advice is...when they start having diaper blow-outs chances are you need to move up to the next size. The weight measurements on the box aren't the same for every baby. And believe me, buying a bigger size is better than poop everywhere!

As far as bottles, I asked the nurses in the NICU and they said ANY bottle is fine. They gave me freebies from the hospital and those are the ones Avery is still using (along with the big ugly pacifier that she LOVES :). Just make sure you give him a bottle regularly (even from the beginning) or he won't want it at all. The NICU trained Avery on a bottle and I give them to her probably 5 or 6 times a week just to make sure she won't stop taking them. You're going to do great! We are so excited for you!

Patti said...

I had trouble with Huggies diapers leaking when my girls were small and I tried them with grandkids and they still leaked.

I recommend the soothie binkies like they use in the hospital for several reasons...even if Mandi thinks they are ugly. One reason--you can put your finger down in the bink and rub their gums when they are teething.

Good Luck. You'll do fine.

Elise said...

I love pampers swaddlers. Dr. Browns bottle are wonderful. They cost more than others, but work really well. They are worth the money. And I like soothie binkies. However, like others have said, buy one and make sure your baby likes it before buying lots.

Mandi and Adam said...

I must say that I do like the hole in the Soothie binkies. However, besides them being ugly, I don't like them because everyone has them, so if you're in a group with several babies, sometimes it's hard to keep track of which binky belongs to which baby.

And I agree with Carrie, when your baby starts having lots of leaking diapers, go up a size, even if the poundage on the box says otherwise.

April Celeste Garff said...

I'm a fan of huggies snugglers/movers. Used to like pampers, but the new ones have a weird chemical smell so we had to switch. We haven't really had a problem with any diapers, but I do like the Huggies rewards, and buy them through Amazon mom subscribe and save for pretty cheap.

As far as bottles, I like Gerber Nuk and the Evenflo ones that mimic breastfeeding. Of course, Liam gave up on bottles at 9 months so we just went with a sippy, then.

Love the NUK pacifiers---so much cuter than a lot of others---makes it much easier to tell them apart.

Hope you get all settled in before the baby comes...we moved after the baby was a month old and it took MONTHS to unpack.

Congrats on the graduation, move, and baby. Good luck!!!

Stormie said...

As Mandi and Adam said, we use luvs through Amazon subscribe and save - they're the best and cheapest deal we've found and the diapers work great for us. Though we've also used the Sam's Club brand and Huggies. I love Huggies, but they're more expensive so we only get those on trips and when she was a baby.

Miyah tried three different types of binkies and loved the MAM ones the best. Luckily we were given all three brands so we could try them without spending any money. But if you can get your baby to use a binkie, it's definitely a life saver (at least it was for us).

Miyah never used bottles - so sorry I can't help you out there.

Good luck with everything!

Stormie said...

P.S. My friend uses Target brand diapers which are pretty cheap and she really likes them.