Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Backpacking with Bears

This week was one of the two weeks that Kirk gets off all summer. He wanted to go backpacking to the Little Kern river. It's in the southern part of the Sierra mountains, about 5 hours from here. Kirk's dad flew down and came with us. We drove up there Monday morning and started hiking.
We were able to do a little fishing and catch a few Little Kern Golden trout. This is the only place in the world where they live, so it was kind of cool. Here is Kirk with one of the fish he caught.
Tuesday we got up and hiked to another creek. Then we bushwacked (left the trail and used a compass to go through the forest) to another creek. We camped there on Tuesday night. Kirk's dad was really tired, so we decided to shorten our trip a little and go home on Thursday morning. This is our camp Tuesday night, and my handsome husband again.
We hiked out (bushwacking again) to our first campsite, did some more fishing, and rested. Tuesday evening we left to make our final camp at the bottom of the world's longest, steepest hill. We had to go up the hill to get to our car and were planning on making a fresh start on it Thursday morning before it got hot.
Anyway, about a quarter mile before our planned camping spot, we came around a corner and saw a black bear. He was just sitting there on the trail, eating some grass, not bothering anyone. We retreated, and tried to decide what to do. He started walking down the trail toward us and saw us and took off. We waited about 10 more minutes, then found some rocks and sticks and made a lot of noise and kept walking down the trail. You're supposed to show black bears that you're not scared of them and make sure that they know where you are. Needless to say, we didn't want to camp there anymore and ended up doing the crazy long, steep, hill that night. We got to the car about 8 pm and started the 5 hour drive home. We're all a little tired today, but it was a fun trip and one that I will never forget.
We're heading up to Utah tomorrow, I'll keep you posted on what adventures that brings!

4 comments:

Steffy said...

I'm glad you didn't get eaten by the bear! I'm secretly jealous that you saw one so close up though! I think I would have probably wet myself though... so I guess it's a good thing I wasn't there!

Darlene said...

Wow! I think it would be cool to see a bear, but I don't think I would like to do it outside of my car.

Jill said...

I'm glad you had fun on your backpacking trip. That's crazy that you saw a bear. Have fun in Utah!

Katie said...

Hey! Look, I found your blog. I'm so excited, now I can read it and see how you are doing! It looks like you and Kirk are having so much fun. That's so awesome. You're great.