Last night Kirk and I got back from our backpacking trip to Sabrina basin. We left LA on Wednesday after Kirk had finished at school, about 6:15 p.m. We arrived at our campsite that night around 11:00, after picking up our permit along the way. We quickly set up our tent and fell asleep. The next morning, we packed up and headed to the trailhead a few miles down the road. The trail started at Sabrina Lake and it was really pretty. We only passed a few people along the way and pretty soon we were at Blue Lake. We could see lots of fish in the lake, and since my husband lives to fish, we pulled out the rods and caught a few. Here is me at a stream crossing along the way. This is the only one we had to wade through.

We continued hiking and made it to our campsite at Sailor lake a little while later, about 4.5 miles. Again, there were lots of fish, so Kirk went to go catch a few and I laid on some rocks for a nap! We set up camp, had some dinner and then hiked another half mile to Hungry Packer lake.
Hungry Packer was rumored to have bigger fish in it and it didn't let us down. Not only did we get to catch fish, we enjoyed the scenery at a gorgeous high altitude lake. The lake was surrounded by granite cliffs and had an amazing waterfall dumping down into it.




The next morning, we got up with the sun and headed out to fish at Echo Lake. What a view to wake up to!

It was about a mile and a half from our camp. It didn't have a trail to it, rather we just followed a creek up to it. Actually, I panted after Mr. Mountainman and struggled up a small mountain to get to this lake at 11,600 ft elevation. It was a hard climb! But we made it, only to find that the lake was frozen! Here we were, July 23 and this lake hadn't thawed out from the winter. Wow. Although we were disappointed that we couldn't fish this one, the scenery made the hike worth it!

We scambled back down the hill, pausing to take some pictures of marmots and fished at Moonlight lake instead.

After lunch and a short break at our camp we hiked a couple more miles to get to Midnight Lake and fished there. (I told you, Kirk lives to fish!) This lake was also really beautiful. It was really dark blue and had a waterfall/stream pouring down into it. We spent the evening back up at Hungry Packer lake. We ended up hiking about 6 miles that day, but were both super tired by the time we went to bed.
The next morning, Kirk decided he wanted to fish at Moonlight lake once again because it was so close to our camp. He made me a deal. We would fish for 2 hours or until each of us had caught 15 fish. Sounded good to me. It turned out to be ridiculously easy fishing and I caught 8 before he even had his line ready to go. I ended up with 22 at the lake and Kirk caught 16 in a lot less than 2 hours. We went back to camp and packed up and hiked out. After a quick stop at Taco Bell, we were on our way home.
Trip summary:
Best parts: Awesome country with amazing peaks and beautiful lakes, spending time with Kirk and catching more fish than him on the last morning.
Worst parts: A gazillion mosquitos!! I hate having mosquitos around me so much I wore a head-net most of the time we were there. Everytime I took it off I got bit on the face. I even got bit through 2 shirts and my long pants.

All in all a great way to spend my last 3 days of summer break!

2 comments:
Before you mentioned the frozen lake I was wondering how there could be so much snow - it's crazy that it's still frozen! So my question is what do you do with all those fish? Do you eat them or put them back or what? Glad you had one more chance to have fun. Good luck starting school!
Looks like you guys had a great time! How beautiful!
Post a Comment