Cade Thomas Morris!
Born: Sunday August 21, 2011, 6 days early, at 4:32 a.m.
Weighed in at 8 pounds 11 ounces, measured 21 inches long--he's a big little guy!
Cade had pneumothorax when he was born. This is a small hole in the lung that lets air out of the lung into the chest cavity. He was having a hard time breathing right. He was taken to the NICU about 5 minutes after being born. The doctors thought that the pneumothorax would resolve itself so he was kept in a dark room and the nurses kept him calm. He was given an IV and a feeding tube so that he didn't have to be disturbed for the first 3 days. He also had an issue with his stomach and threw up food for a day or so.
I was able to spend a lot of time with him in the NICU and the nurses let me take care of him. Each day we could do more with him including nursing, feeding him bottles and just holding him. I went home from the hospital on Tuesday evening and Cade was able to come home on Friday. I used Tuesday through Thursday as my "practice mom" days. I asked the nurses lots of questions and they were really patient with me as I learned how to kind of take care of him. Then I went home at night and slept!
Cade LOVES his pacifier!
Cade and Dad in the NICU
Now he has been home for 3 days and we are doing all right. Our two goals are to keep Cade alive and not go insane. So far we are passing! Each day he is doing better--taking longer naps and eating better. Really he is a little piggie and eats a ton! I'm still not too sure about this whole mom thing and I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing. I think it will take a little while, but I'll get there soon.
Here's my boys! I love how small and curled up Cade is in this picture. He ended up sleeping there for about an hour and a half.
So how did it come about?
I started having contractions Saturday morning at 5 am. They got closer and closer and we decided to go to the hospital which is about 30 minutes away. As we drove,they slowed down. Instead of going to the hospital, we ended up at our stake center where Kirk played in a volleyball tournament and I watched. We went to Wendy's for lunch and then back to the stake center. The contractions were still coming the whole time and I didn't want to go all the way home. Finally about 1 p.m. we went to the hospital as they got stronger. I was only dialated to a 1.5 so they monitored me for a couple of hours and after no progress sent me home. Once we got home, Kirk was really tired and took a nap. The contractions got stronger and stonger and by 7 p.m. I couldn't walk through them and we headed back to the hospital. I was dialated to about a 3.5 and got the epidural right away. Then we waited. We brought the laptop and watched a movie and some baseball on tv. I ended up needing some petosin to keep things moving, but Cade came out at 4:32 a.m.--almost 24 hours of labor! Really though, it was only super painful for a few hours when I was at home up until I got the epidural.

16 comments:
Kirk looks awesome! Cade looks just like him. Therefore, Cade looks awesome. QED. :)
Congratulations on the kid! Clara loved the picture with Kirk & Cade in the chair--it looks exactly like one (mirror image) of Randall & Evelyn shortly after birth.
Clara also loved that you went to the volleyball game first! :)
Best of everything to the three of you!
--Randall & Clara
Congratulations!!! I know you will get the hang of being a mom so soon and you'll be such a great mom! He is beautiful.
Congrats! I Am so glad that Cade is doing better! You are doing awesome, those first couple of weeks are truly a crazy whirlwind. I promise it gets way better, especially when that little boy starts sleeping better.
Yea!! Yes, I think he looks like Kirk now... ;)
Congrats!! He's a cutie!! Thanks for the updates! Can't wait for all the pictures to come!
Congratulations!!! That is a BIG baby for such a little lady! Good job girl. :0) I'm sorry you and your little guy had so much to worry about at first, but I'm glad things are looking up. I'm sure you are a fabulous mommy. Take care!
Cute pictures. Congrats, you will get the hang of it and it will come faster then you think.
Congrats!! He is darling! I promise that the uncertainty haze lifts more and more each day. I can't believe my little guy is a month old already, it goes fast! I hear you on the labor length too, I had 25 hours and it was way too long! :) Congrats again, momma!!
Yay!!! Congratulations! You two are going to be amazing parents. I love the name Cade, by the way. He is adorable. :)
He is so cute. I am glad that he is doing better and that he is home with you. I remember when Spencer was born we lived in the dorms at BYU and we just laid on the bed with him and cried because we had NO idea what we were doing. We've only slightly messed him up... ; )
He is cute! I am glad to hear you are all home and well. Babies are so wonderful!! You will be a great mom!!
He is cute! I am glad to hear you are all home and well. Babies are so wonderful!! You will be a great mom!!
He looks super adorable! Congrats you guys!!! Enjoy every delicious newborn minute---before you know it, he'll be running circles around you!
Congratulations! I'm so glad you guys are home and healthy!
Congratulations!! So glad you are both home and he is doing well. Enjoy!
Congratulations! We're so happy for you guys! And don't worry...that's why they come to us little, because we can mess up and they won't remember :) Oh how I love having babies around the house!
Post a Comment