Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Memphis Moments

As we were preparing to move here, several people told me that the south is a different place and to remember things that happen there. I am going to try to document funny things that happen here as our Memphis Moments.

**********************************************************
When Kirk works at the hospital, they provide a meal for him in the cafeteria. There is a sign there that says something like "We want to take care of our staff members so we deep fry our foods in the finest vegetable oil."
**********************************************************
We went to a drive-thru last week and got hamburgers. When we pulled up the lady inside asked if we wanted to try blah blah whatever. Kirk looked at me and I said to tell her no. Neither of us could understand what she said. Kirk replied "I don't know what you said but no." We continued to order and luckily ended up with the food we wanted even though we could only understand about a quarter of what this lady was saying.
In Los Angeles, you couldn't understand everyone either. The difference? There, they spoke other languages or had not been in the United States speaking english very long. Here, they just have crazy accents.
**********************************************************
Kirk was eating at the cafeteria another day and talking to the lady who serves the food.
Kirk: Does working here make you hungry all of the time?
Lady: No, actually I've lost 15 pounds since I started.
Kirk: Oh, congratulations.
Lady: No--I can't lose weight. I'm black and I gotta have booty!
**********************************************************

More to come, as they happen and as I remember them!

4 comments:

Emily and Ryan said...

:). The last was is classic!

Debbie Smith said...

Love them, Cheryl! Keep them coming! I hope all goes well with your delivery and your new little one!

Mangum Menagerie said...

Sounds like an adjustment. Sounds fun though. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Without diversity we might get bored, thanks for all the blogging, I love it.
Dad