Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Memphis Moments part II

A while ago I shared some funny things that you can find around Memphis. Here are a few new ones we've come across:
**********************************************************
Guys here wear cowboy boots--for real. Guys that are my age and want to dress a little nicer wear cowboy boots, tight-ish jeans (but not skinny jeans), a belt and a tucked-in, plaid, button-up shirt. Never seen that before.
**********************************************************
Ever heard of Catfish head stew? Neither had I. Apparently you eat the rest of the catfish, and use the heads to make a stew. You don't eat the heads.
**********************************************************
When eating a crawdad, you are supposed to suck the brains out of the head. YUCK! No, I did not try that one.
**********************************************************
A deer got hit and killed by a car right outside of our chuch while crossing the road. One of our friends saw it happen. He has been hunting here several times, but never been able to shoot a deer. He asked a guy in our bishopric if he could just take that one home. The bishopric member said sure, loaded it into his own truck and helped to butcher the deer. They ended up getting over 30 pounds of meat. In Utah, this is illegal, but hey, we're in Mississippi now!
**********************************************************
I was waiting in line at Bass Pro Shop and Cade was in his carseat in the stroller, meaning he was facing backwards. The lady behind us in line was talking to Cade and he was smiling and being really friendly back. She and I started talking a little bit and she asked what his name was. I told her Cade. She asked me to repeat it and I did then she asked me to spell it. I said C-A-D-E and she said "oh, Ca-aide!" then to the baby "I can't understand your mama's accent. Where is she from?" I told her Utah and she said she could tell I was new to the south. Earlier that same day, Kirk was at a dentist appointment and the assistant there couldn't understand him and said he talked too fast.

No comments: